|Area||Queenstown Lakes District|
|Riding time||1 day|
|Road surface||Sealed - optional gravel excursions|
Tourists, stock, road kill
Mountains, lakes, vineyards, hobbits?
Queenstown, Paradise, Arrowtown, Crown Range, Cardrona Pub, Wanaka, Lake Hawea, Cromell, Bannockburn, Highlands Motorsport Park
A great day circuit which can start anywhere on the route and either direction.
|Phone:||Login to view details|
1) Queenstown - Glenorchy and return - follow signs. If you want, go past Glenorchy and explore Paradise and Dart River valley - gravel and stream crossings. Also Rees Valley and Greenstone excursions.
2) On return to Queenstown, take Gorge Road (Caltex Fuel) towards Coronet Peak and Arrowtown. On your way to Arrowtown, head up the road to the Coronet Peak Skifield for some great views.
3) From Arrowtown, head for Wanaka via the Crown Range. Stop at the Cardrona Pub for a relaxing coffee in the graden out the back. Note the Race to the Sky road opposite leading up to Snow Farm and the Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground.
4) From Wanaka follow signs to West Coast (SH6) and turn off at lake Hawea. (NOTE: to get to the Transport and Toy Museum or Wings and Wheels Museum follow signs to Wanaka Airport, then retrace your steps and SH6 to Lake hawea)
5) Travel through Lake Hawea township and follow the right hand turn away from the lake. At the end turn left into Cemetry road, then take the right hander. Long straights along your way here - watch for stock, tractors etc. Follow signs to Mount Cook and Christchurch (left hand turn before the bridge). Follow this road to the end and at SH8 turn right towards Cromwell. Turn right into Cromwell at the bridge.
6) Follow Barry Ave (Z Fuel) towards Bannockburn and visit the Bannockburn Hotel, home of Bike Week. From the hotel, back down the hill and first left over the bridge (Pearson Road). Turn right into Sandflat road (gravel) and at the end of Sandflat Rd on your right is Highlands Motorsport Park (Motorsport Museum, Go Karting, Dirt Buggies, Porsche Taxi, Porsche GT3 Cup ride, Suzuki Swift Your Laps, Wine experience and cafe). (Top avoid the gravel, take Pearson Rd to the end and turn right into SH6 - you will see the Highlands turn off after a couple of km).
7) From Highlands, take Kawerau Gorge (SH6) back to Queenstown.If you need a new tyre or anything else after this ride, Queenstown Motorcycles and 850cc cafe is in Glenda Drive, Frankton. (first left up the hill after the curving Shotover bridge as you approach Frankton)
Google+ Copyright © 2013 - Motorcycle Alley
> Bike Garage is the interactive solution for all your motorcycle data.